The weather is warming up, which means ice cream is sounding better and better these days! Although if I’m being honest, ice cream pretty much always sounds good. And the ice cream-waffle cone pairing has a pretty cool back story, too.
At the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, Ernest Hamwi was selling zalabis (a waffle-like pastry) in a booth next to an ice cream vendor. When the ice cream vendor ran out of dishes, Hamwi was struck with an idea. He rolled one of his pastries into the shape of a cone and had his booth neighbor load it with ice cream. Customers went wild for the combination, and the rest is history.
Unfortunately for our taste buds, waffle cones stuffed with dairy ice cream aren’t the best for our health. But rest assured, there are other options! So forget the sugar-laden ice cream varieties, and try this recipe for vegan ice cream with blueberries and nuts from the Breast Cancer Authority. It’s not only delicious and refreshing, it’s healthy, too!
Vegan Ice Cream with Blueberries and Nuts
- 1 cup frozen banana, sliced
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or organic raw honey)
- Handful walnuts
- Handful fresh blueberries (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients in a strong blender until you get a nice, smooth and super delicious ice cream! If your blender isn’t strong, you may need to stop it from time to time and mix everything manually, and then blend again. It’s important all the nuts blend into the ice cream.
- You may add the fresh blueberries on top for taste and as a garnish.