Top Ten Foods That Prevent Cancer
There are plenty of news articles and media reports regarding foods that have been linked to cancer or containing ingredients that can cause cancer. But we don’t often see much news about which foods can be eaten in order to prevent cancer, or at least decrease the risk of cancer. There are plenty of healthy foods out there that can benefit your body in many ways, but some are noteworthy for their ability to significantly decrease the risk of cancer.
At Hope4Cancer Treatment Centers, proper nutrition is one of the key principles we use to treat cancer patients. This list is not really designed for the patient who already has cancer – but for someone who wants to live a healthy lifestyle and do what they can to prevent the onset of the disease. Handling nutrition properly is a huge step towards that goal. However, if you already have cancer, we recommend that you consult your doctor or you may also reach out to us for more information – simply changing your nutrition may not be enough to change the course of the disease.
What Are the Top Ten Foods That Prevent Cancer?
Back to the topic …. the top ten foods that prevent cancer. Our list has been made with foods that are not hard to find, we haven’t even listed exotic fruits or vegetables that can cost you a lot at a health food store. In fact, most of them are quite common and can be easily found in any supermarket, so it shouldn’t be any problem maintaining a healthy lifestyle with this list of top ten foods and drinks that prevent cancer.
1. Green leafy and cruciferous vegetables, and plenty of them—While many health advocates say that to be truly healthy and decrease the risk of cancer and other debilitating diseases you need to stick to a plant based diet. However, being realistic, we know that not all of you will, probably most of you won’t—but this doesn’t mean you still can’t stick to a daily diet that is rich in healthy vegetables. Leafy vegetables in particular are especially healthy and decrease the risk of cancer. These include kale, broccoli, spinach, bok choy, turnip grees, cabbage, and even cauliflower, despite the fact that it isn’t technically green. All of these vegetables contain substances that are known to fight against cancer.
2. Dark colored vegetables—Green isn’t the only color you should look for when vegetable shopping. Aside from dark green vegetables such as spinach, dark red beets, red cabbage, and other dark colored vegetables also contain many cancer-fighting properties, and also provide additional health benefits and vitamins. The phytonutrients obtained from these vegetables are essential for a strong, healthy body. The idea is not just to consume nutrients that are known to directly fight cancer, but to build up a healthy body that has a strong immune system, while staying away from foods that add to your toxic burden.
3. Grapes (Red wine?)—Many have already heard that a glass of red wine can help prevent cancer. While red wine does contain resveratrol, which can help to lower the risk of cancer, it should be drunk in moderation, like all alcohol. We mention this with a lot of trepidation, because at Hope4Cancer we recommend people should stay away from alcohol because it has other effects that are not consistent with healthy body function. Eating red grapes, or taking a good resveratrol supplement may help.
4. Dark berries—Bring on the antioxidants and fight off those free radicals!! Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries are all especially healthy, and have recently been added to the superfoods list for their ability to impart a wide range of health benefits, as well as to lower the risk of many diseases, including cancer.
5. Tomatoes—Tomatoes contain lycopene, a flavenoid that has been known to help prevent cancer. However, it is better to purchase fresh, organically grown tomatoes rather than canned, as canned tomatoes can sometimes contain other harmful chemicals.
6. Garlic—Because garlic can be added to many meals, it should be quite easy to consume a bit of garlic on a regular basis. Some people even make it a point to eat some garlic everyday in the morning, or take a garlic extract pill or similar vitamin supplement to receive the many health benefits garlic can impart. As an added bonus, it is said that those who consume garlic often will not be bitten by mosquitoes, since mosquitoes have an aversion to garlic! We will not get into vampires for now …
7. Onions—All forms of onions contain allicin, a substance that helps to prevent cancer. This includes scallions, chives and leeks, among others.
8. Green tea—This healthy tea has been the subject of many studies lately, as it is said to help promote weight loss, contains many antioxidants, that combine to help fight cancer, among other healthy properties.
9. Whole Grains —Whole grains contain a variety of anti-cancer compounds including antioxidants, fiber, and phytoestrogens. These can help decrease the risk of developing most types of cancer. In addition to that, they also assist in maintaining good health in the digestive tract, while maintaining healthy insulin levels – all important for cancer.
10. Beans—Good for fiber and other vitamins, beans also contain cancer-fighting compounds known as saponins, as well as other healthy properties that can serve to reduce the risk of cancer.
Are there more foods that are good to prevent cancer? Sure. But we hope this will help you as a guide to become more observant as to what you should see on your plate on a regular basis. To understand more about what you shouldn’t see on your plate, read our recent article by clicking the link below:
This article reflects the opinions of the author and those of any of the source articles and should not be misconstrued as medical advice. None of this information is evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, and is not meant to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease.