Summer is the perfect time for outdoor picnics, get-togethers in the backyard, or a family outing at the park. I’ve always loved a cold chicken salad sandwich during days like this—filling and energizing to keep you going but not too heavy for a warm summer day.
Of course, I REALLY love it when I can find a raw version of my favorite foods, so I was excited to find this delicious and healthy recipe from The Rawtarian for a raw vegan “chicken” salad. Now, this means there’s no chicken in this chicken salad; instead, this dish gets that chicken salad texture from raw cashews. I personally love the flavor of cashews, and they’re also packed with vitamins E, K and B6, and minerals such as copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron and selenium. They also contain a lot of good antioxidants that help the body fight cancer!
While this won’t taste like chicken necessarily, the chunky cashew mixture does have a similar texture, and the flavor is just as delicious and refreshing. Plus, this recipe is quick to whip up, so try some this summer for your family and let me know what you think!
Raw Vegan “Chicken” Salad
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cucumber (peel and cut into chunks)
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 apple (cut into chunks)
- 1 celery stalk (cut into chunks)
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. (Do not use blender.)
- Process only until mixture achieves a chunky consistency (usually just a few seconds).
- Serve in lettuce wraps, between slices of gluten-free bread, or roll it up in a flax tortilla.
Keep in mind this salad won’t keep long, so make in small batches and enjoy right away!
What’s your favorite raw version of a popular food? Share your thoughts by tweeting to us @Hope4CancerMex or by commenting on our Facebook page.
(Photo source: The Rawtarian)