Let’s face it: When we eat unhealthy meals, it’s often because we’re short on time or our fridge is empty. And when the kids are hungry and your time is short, convenience often wins. That’s why I love this new recipe I found from The Rawtarian! It’s for raw cauliflower rice, which is the perfect base for so many different meal options. Whip this up and keep it in the refrigerator so you’re ready to cook up a healthy meal no matter how little time you have.
Just like regular rice, this cauliflower version is not super exciting on its own, but with the right flavors from the rest of the meal, it really comes alive! Plus, I really like using cauliflower instead of traditional rice. While it’s often overshadowed by its cousin, broccoli, cauliflower is actually a nutrient-dense food, providing huge amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, niacin, protein, and much more. Cauliflower is also known to have helpful digestive benefits, anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to boost brain health.
It’s also a potential cancer fighter! Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a compound shown to kill cancer stem cells, and one study found that this compound reduced the number of mammary tumors in animals.
Try this “rice” with your favorite vegetables, or pair it with a spicy curry—then let me know how you end up using it!
Raw Cauliflower Rice
(Adapted from The Rawtarian)
- 3 cups cauliflower (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Roughly chop or break cauliflower into florets (little bunches). Don’t include too much stalk.
- Place florets in food processor. Process into small rice-sized pieces.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil and salt. Stir with a spoon until well-combined.
- Serve immediately, or cover and store in refrigerator for up to three days.
(Photo source: The Rawtarian)