This salad combines sweet, crunchy carrots with bright, flavorful tomatoes for a dynamic side dish. Even better, this dish comes together quickly — you’ll have it on the table in less than 30 minutes, so it’s a great choice for busy weeknights.
Carrots are one of the most widely used and enjoyed vegetables in the world, and for good reason: they’re relatively easy to grow, flavorful and versatile. Cultures around the globe use this root vegetable in their cuisine.
Carrots are rich in many nutrients, particularly beta-carotene. Consumption of beta-carotene has been linked to a reduced risk of several cancers. Plus, carrots are a great source of antioxidants. I especially love the addition of fresh basil, which takes the dish to a whole new level of flavor.
Serve this dish alongside fresh fish — I like it with salmon! — or enjoy a larger serving for a light and delicious lunch.
Coastal Carrot Ribbons with Tomatoes
Serves 4 as a side
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 3 large rainbow or orange carrots, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted, for garnish
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic; sauté until soft, about 30 seconds.
- Add two tablespoons of the basil and the tomatoes. Sauté until the tomatoes burst and release their juices, about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, using either a spiral slicer or vegetable peeler, slice the carrots into ribbons.
- Add the carrots, paprika, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with the remaining ½ tablespoon basil and the pumpkin seeds just before serving.