Good sleep is necessary for optimal health and can affect hormone levels, mood and weight. The perfect night’s sleep starts long before you jump into your bed. Having a bedtime routine is necessary for us to have a better sleep. In some instances, it just means knowing when is the right time for you to cut off from various daytime activities that can spoil your good night’s rest.
You can get a better sleep by following this guide before-bedtime.
What to do hours before going to bed?
- 6 hours before bed – STOP drinking caffeine. You hear it all the time, when it comes to sleep: Don’t drink caffeine too late in the day. It’s among the most common sleep tips. Caffeine, with its stimulant effects, is disruptive to good sleep.
- 3 hours before bed – STOP drinking alcohol such as beers, wines spirits. Give your body time to process the alcohol you’ve drunk before you try to sleep. In the course of a night you usually have six to seven cycles of REM sleep, which leaves you feeling refreshed. However, if you’ve been drinking you’ll typically have only one to two, meaning you can wake feeling exhausted.
- 2-3 hours before bedtime – finish eating dinner. Overeating and eating certain foods before bedtime can cause numerous problems. Learning more about these effects such as heartburn, overeating and weight gain, insomnia, and asthma complications may prompt you to improve your habits.
- 2 hours before bed – finish exercising. Vigorous late-night exercise does not disturb sleep quality. However, it may have effects on cardiac autonomic control of heart during the first sleeping hours.
- 1 hour before bed -turn off all electronics. Electronic devices stimulate brain activity and it’s disrupting your ability to drift off to sleep.
- 1 hour before bed – Stop working, studying, stressing. Maybe plan out your next day, get some time in for meditation, feeling grateful for the day that is passed and build up expectancy for the day that is about to arrive.
Be productive, mentally sharp, emotionally balanced, and be full of energy all day long by having a good night sleep. Healthy sleep habits can help you put a stop to nighttime problems and improve the quality of your rest and with it, the quality of your life. Goodnight and sleep tight everyone!