Study after study show that a high intake of fresh fruit and vegetables can lower the incidence of chronic conditions like cancer. Additionally, the more colorful and natural your diet (especially nutrient and antioxidant-rich produce), the healthier and more youthful you feel. One great way to increase your daily consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables is through juicing.
Freshly made juices are concentrated nutritional elixirs that heal and rejuvenate the body and help bring balance to all the body’s cells. Juicing is also one of the easiest, most efficient, and most delicious ways to ensure that you are meeting your daily intake of fresh produce.
The Benefits of Juicing
- Juice provides an abundance of water.
- The body can quickly absorb larger amounts of nutrients from juices than from solid foods because the digestive process necessary when you eat whole foods is bypassed. This is especially helpful during periods of healing.
- Vegetable juices are an excellent source of a high concentration of important vitamins and minerals. They are also a good source of antioxidants and phytonutrients (substances that protect the body’s cells from disease, injury, and pollution).
Selecting a Juicer
- Twin Gear Juicer: This type of juicer uses stainless steel twin gears to squeeze and press fruits and vegetables. The slow speed of the gears does not create excess heat or free radicals in juice, therefore preserving the most nutrients. It juices all fruits and vegetables, including wheatgrass and leafy greens, makes pasta/noodles, nut butters, and frozen fruit desserts. This is our preferred juicer because of the high nutrient value and high yield. Juice may be stored for up to 3 days! Example: Greenstar® Original Basic Twin Gear Slow Masticating Juicer
- Single Gear Juicer – This juicer crushes and presses, creating no heat, and extracts juice from fruits, vegetables, wheatgrass, and other leafy greens. It also makes pasta/noodles, grinds herbs and seasonings, purees baby food, minces meats, grinds coffee, and makes desserts from frozen fruit. The low speed helps to make a juice that maintains essential nutrients. It’s easy to use and clean. Example: Samson Super Juicer
There are other juicers on the market that will be fine for making juice. The above two are Hope4Cancer’s top choices. The most important thing is simply that you begin incorporating fresh green juices into your daily diet.
A Great Starter Recipe
Mild Green Juice
Juice ingredients in the following order. Enjoy!
3 cups spinach or romaine lettuce
1 celery stalk
1” piece ginger
½ green apple
Need some more juicing recipes? Look no further than Kris Carr’s new Crazy Sexy Juice book. It debuts on October 20th and will be a great addition to your juicing regimen.
What’s your favorite juice recipe? Tweet us @Hope4CancerMex, and we may include it in the blog!